All swimmers should now have had emails inviting them to enter the BSC Club Championships 2017 (8, 9, 15, 16 and 18 November). Please click on the links at the end of each email to enter for races. The system will send you a confirmation when you have done so.
Please note the following:
- The championships are licensed at level 4 so, as long as all goes according to plan, swimmers will be able to use any qualification times achieved for entry to the 2018 Cambridgeshire County Championships, which are scheduled for January/February next year.
- All sessions will be refereed and have officials monitoring starts, turns, finishes and stroke just like an Open gala. That said, we hope and expect the atmosphere to be more like a JFL – this year it’s just our club champs, we’re going it alone, and we’re hoping to be able to supply most of the officials ourselves too.
- There are 5 sessions of Club Champs. All the 50s, the 100 IM and the 400 IM will be held at Newmarket Leisure Centre on Saturday 18 November– while the longer events will be held on the Wednesday and Thursday evenings during normal training times on 8, 9, 15 and 16 November at Bottisham VC.
- We are keeping event entry fees low to encourage swimmers to participate in as many events as possible. They are £2 each for the 50s/100IM events and the Bottisham events are free to enter. Spectators will be charged a small amount to watch at Newmarket but not at Bottisham.
- Saturday 18 November will (hopefully!) be a celebration evening including presentation of the overall awards for the top 3 girls and boys in each age group. We’d like everyone to attend, with as many family and friends as you can collect, to make it a fantastic supportive atmosphere for the swimmers.
We expect all club members to enter some events in the Club Championships. We would like all C squad swimmers to enter the 50m events at least (25m fly for the 9s and under) ; B squad should do a couple of 100m and 200m events too, and A squad swimmers should really be having a go at everything, or at least a good mix of strokes and distances! Gold, silver and bronze medals will be awarded for each race in age categories 9/u, 10-11, 12-13, 14-15 and 16+. As last year, those who wish to participate in the 800m freestyle and 1500m freestyle events are asked to get Karl’s approval – these events are only for more able freestyle swimmers and there are restricted numbers.
Those without times for an event – don’t worry, this shouldn’t stop you entering, and we will seed you for the races with swimmers of similar ability. If there any glitches with the system, please let me know.
Year 11s – I understand there’s a clash with the Hills Road Open Evenings. Please enter your swims regardless and just let me know that you’ll be late – all races will still have to run on the correct evenings, but we will aim to work it out somehow so you can still participate.
Finally, we will need some volunteers to help out at each session with marshalling, announcing, door control, raffle, refreshments, data recording etc. A more detailed request will be sent out nearer the time, but please think about stepping forward even if you haven’t done so before – we can train you up, and we’re solely reliant on parents volunteering to make this work for the kids.
Closing dates are 23 October for 8/9 November, 30 October for 15/16 November, and 4 November for 18 November. Join us!