Closing dates are fast approaching for the first two sessions of Club Champs (next Monday) and the January gala (this Friday). Please get your entries in as soon as possible. For either gala, it doesn’t matter whether you have a time or not – just click the links in the emails you were sent, or the emails you can find in your account in SCM, and the system does the rest. If we have any queries, we will let you know!
Well done to all 13 swimmers (and parents!) who survived the traffic jam caused by a lorry fire on the A14 and the searing heat poolside at the Corby Long Course Open meet on Saturday. We had some brilliant results.
Top of the Personal Best tree this week was Phoebe E, in one of her first Open galas, not to mention her first long course meet! Phoebe got 4 excellent PBs, and even finished in a brilliant 6th place in her age group in the 50m backstroke. Well done Phoebe!
Next, with 3 PBs each: George and James B. Both of them were medallists too, see below!
Congratulations to Nick, Yvonne and Luna who all got two PBs each, and to Faith, Mary O and Sasha who each got one. Faith’s PB in the 200m Individual Medley was the only club record this week.
And now to the bling…
Faith got a bronze in her 100m breaststroke; George got a silver in his 50m backstroke; and James B got a gold medal in his first Open swim, the 100m backstroke!
Well done to Sasha, who went home with a silver in the 50m freestyle and a bronze in 50m backstroke.
Despite being a little off the pace in terms of PBs, Anouk continued to pull in the metalware – she got bronze medals in the 200m IM, 100m breaststroke and 50m breaststroke, a silver in her 50m butterfly and a gold in the 100m butterfly. Well done Anouk!
And finally, great work as usual from Yvonne, who got bronze in 50m free, silver in 50m breast, 100m free and 100m breast, and gold in the 50m backstroke, and so was top medal-winner this weekend. Congratulations Yvonne.
Thanks to Coach Karl for the wisdom, and to Sharon for helping out as team manager.
Fancy a long course gala? You should have received an email earlier about an opportunity early next year at a rather special venue – come and join us!
All swimmers should now have had emails inviting them to enter the BSC Club Championships 2017 (8, 9, 15, 16 and 18 November). Please click on the links at the end of each email to enter for races. The system will send you a confirmation when you have done so.
Please note the following:
- The championships are licensed at level 4 so, as long as all goes according to plan, swimmers will be able to use any qualification times achieved for entry to the 2018 Cambridgeshire County Championships, which are scheduled for January/February next year.
- All sessions will be refereed and have officials monitoring starts, turns, finishes and stroke just like an Open gala. That said, we hope and expect the atmosphere to be more like a JFL – this year it’s just our club champs, we’re going it alone, and we’re hoping to be able to supply most of the officials ourselves too.
- There are 5 sessions of Club Champs. All the 50s, the 100 IM and the 400 IM will be held at Newmarket Leisure Centre on Saturday 18 November– while the longer events will be held on the Wednesday and Thursday evenings during normal training times on 8, 9, 15 and 16 November at Bottisham VC.
- We are keeping event entry fees low to encourage swimmers to participate in as many events as possible. They are £2 each for the 50s/100IM events and the Bottisham events are free to enter. Spectators will be charged a small amount to watch at Newmarket but not at Bottisham.
- Saturday 18 November will (hopefully!) be a celebration evening including presentation of the overall awards for the top 3 girls and boys in each age group. We’d like everyone to attend, with as many family and friends as you can collect, to make it a fantastic supportive atmosphere for the swimmers.
We expect all club members to enter some events in the Club Championships. We would like all C squad swimmers to enter the 50m events at least (25m fly for the 9s and under) ; B squad should do a couple of 100m and 200m events too, and A squad swimmers should really be having a go at everything, or at least a good mix of strokes and distances! Gold, silver and bronze medals will be awarded for each race in age categories 9/u, 10-11, 12-13, 14-15 and 16+. As last year, those who wish to participate in the 800m freestyle and 1500m freestyle events are asked to get Karl’s approval – these events are only for more able freestyle swimmers and there are restricted numbers.
Those without times for an event – don’t worry, this shouldn’t stop you entering, and we will seed you for the races with swimmers of similar ability. If there any glitches with the system, please let me know.
Year 11s – I understand there’s a clash with the Hills Road Open Evenings. Please enter your swims regardless and just let me know that you’ll be late – all races will still have to run on the correct evenings, but we will aim to work it out somehow so you can still participate.
Finally, we will need some volunteers to help out at each session with marshalling, announcing, door control, raffle, refreshments, data recording etc. A more detailed request will be sent out nearer the time, but please think about stepping forward even if you haven’t done so before – we can train you up, and we’re solely reliant on parents volunteering to make this work for the kids.
Closing dates are 23 October for 8/9 November, 30 October for 15/16 November, and 4 November for 18 November. Join us!